5 Simple and Affordable Storage Solutions
Your Yard Card inventory has taken over the garage. You have piles of stakes on the floor, stacks of themes, and letters still in boxes. Your children are using your flashes to make forts, you cannot find the pieces you need for your next set up and your signs are getting scratched or damaged. It is time to plan and get organized. Here are five simple and affordable storage solutions to get you started.
1) Storage Bins come in many sizes, and you can mix and match them to fit your letters, numbers, and most used flair. This keeps them off the floor and protected from water damage, spills and dirt but also makes it easier to find what you are looking for. You can even leave pieces staked and just turn them upside down in your Storage Bins with the stakes facing up. I use Storage Bins for my 18” letter sets to keep them separated and alphabetized.
2) Storage Bags with handles are great for keeping themes and sets together. My favorite are the over-sized storage bags from Venobags. I have 30 plus bags hanging from my garage ceiling which allows me to still park my vehicle without having to shuffle inventory around. I also use these bags for set ups. I simply throw in all the pieces I need (letters, numbers, flair, flashes, etc...) and I can load it into my vehicle. These are stackable so I can put multiple bags in my vehicle without my cards getting scratched or damaged.
3) Shelving can be used to organize Storage Bins or create cubbies to store your flair or themes. Whether you are handy and can create custom wood shelves or purchase metal or plastic Shelving from the store, there are lots of options. My husband built me specific shelves for my Flashes using left over wood from another DIY project. They are only 4-6 inches deep, but I can stack 10-15 flashes in each one. I keep my most used Flashes on the bottom shelves and then put my seasonal or theme specific Flashes on the top shelves.
4) Pegboards and Hooks are simple and inexpensive storage solutions. Pegboards can be found at any Home Improvement store and come in various materials and sizes. You can organize and hang your stakes and tools on the boards for easy access. You can use hooks or long screws to hang staked inventory directly on the wall. With long enough hooks you can put 1-2 staked Happy Birthday Sets including flair on the wall. Since this is shallow wall storage you can still utilize your space for its intended purpose.
5) Clothing Racks are ideal if you like to keep everything staked. Simply use Metal Boot Hangers with Clips to secure your inventory and then place on the clothing rack. You can organize your racks by themes, sets, or colors to make set ups a breeze. The Clothing Racks are typically on wheels so you can move them around to make the most of your storage space.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Elaina Boling is the owner of The Yard Life, a yard card company in Fort Collins, Colorado as well as a processing specialist for Yard Card Supply. She is passionate about quality products, mentoring, and growing the yard card industry.